This is the perfect gingerbread cookie recipe for the holidays. Get your kids involved to make these delicious cutout cookies in various shapes and sizes. Let your imagination go wild when decorating!
• 6 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 T baking powder
• 1 T ground ginger
• 1 t ground cloves
• 1 t ground cinnamon
• 1 cup shortening, melted and cooled slightly
• 1 cup molasses
• 1 cup backed brown sugar
• 1/2 cup water
• 1 egg
• 1 t vanilla extract
1. Sift together flour, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon; set aside
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the shortening, molasses, brown sugar, water, egg, and vanilla until smooth. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients until they are completely absorbed. Divide dough into 3 pieces, pat down to 1 1/2 inch thickness, wrap plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes wtih cookie cutterss. Place cookies 1 inch apart onto an ungreased cookie sheat.
4. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. When the cookies are done, they will look dry, but still be soft to the touch. Remove from the baking sheet to cool on wire racks. When cool, the cookies can be frosted with the icing of your choice.